Dear new users!

All messages from new users are moderated by administrator. Keep patience if You first message is not published, You will see it as soon as it will be accepted. Additional, new users have restriction in using of private message system.

Using speedometer scales

Discussions of VDOEditor utility and everything regarding VDO clusters
fireball

Using speedometer scales

Post by fireball » 31 Aug 2016 09:04

Hi,

since VDOEditor supports alternative Scales for speed and rpm, I wonder where to switch between them?

My cluster is 1Z0920843Q and I have in mind to change to the "correct" speed, which is correct on "main" scale according to VDOEditor, but I don't know how to activate that - any hints?

Best regards
Marcus

skodapilot
Site Admin

Re: Using alternative scales

Post by skodapilot » 31 Aug 2016 09:41

No alternative scale for RPM. Regarding alternative speed scale, it's just name, that I provided, but functionality of this data could be different. I think, that it's not separate scale data , but additional data to perform "alternative" mode: i.e. calculation of digital speed in miles showed on maxidot or something else like this.
Both speedometer data are protected by CRC and currently I could not find algo to calcute it myself. This why correction of speedometer data is blocked in software.

fireball

Post by fireball » 31 Aug 2016 12:01

Ah okay - thanks for clarification!

Energy

Post by Energy » 12 Feb 2017 19:05

In the latest version its possible to change the scales, e.g. "speedometer data. Main scale" oder "Thermometer data. C".

Does it mean, that it is now possible to adjust to show the "real" the values oder will it brick the speedometer?

skodapilot
Site Admin

Post by skodapilot » 12 Feb 2017 19:39

It is enought safe to play with this data.
Only speedometer data requires crc recalculation, but this data is read only in utility

TapaTalk

Energy

Post by Energy » 12 Feb 2017 21:05

Ah okay. Will in be possible to change the speedometer data in the near future? Would be a nice feature.

Edit: I changed speedometer data with the latest version, saved file and compared it. The file with changed speedometer data is different from the original, so its not really "read only".
So am I right, that the CRC will not be calculated and the speedometer will not work anymore till the original file is written back?

skodapilot
Site Admin

Post by skodapilot » 13 Feb 2017 11:14

I think, that You swap data of speedometer. It's not the same change data.
For example, You could modify values and stepper motor data for tachometer or thermometer, but You can not modify any regarding speedometer: only import of ready structures from existing dumps

Energy

Post by Energy » 14 Feb 2017 19:57

Okay, now I think i know what you mean.

Example:
When I´m driving the speedometer shows 100km/h. The real speed is a little bit lower, i.e. 95km/h.
Through "playing" with the curves, I modify the stepper motor data an it´s possible to display the real speed of 95km/h.
Right?

Same thing with temperature.

Sorry for this stupid questioning

skodapilot
Site Admin

Post by skodapilot » 14 Feb 2017 20:42

Yes, all above require of modifications for speedometer structure and this feature are disabled now in vdoeditor. Only read-only view or swap whole structure.
Modifications of other scales are allowed, so You can play with them, if You want..

TapaTalk

Energy

Post by Energy » 18 Feb 2017 20:43

Because you wrote "all above require of modifications for speedometer structure and this feature are disabled now in vdoeditor" I thought, everything which brings trouble with is disabled and the rest is save.

So I readout the original EEPROM and modified "thermometer data.C" and "speedometer data. Main scale" by changing values in the tables.
I remembered your words, but because you wrote "disabled" I thought: "He wrote disabled...but I can change the scales. In the menu is a tab named "curves" and it´s allowed to change fuel and temperature, but not the speedometer data. He must had mean this."

I wrote the modified file in the EEPROM and performed a testdrive:
- Temperature - ok, now it shows the real values
- Speedometer - nothing has changed :(
- Speed in MFA-Display - shows the real values (before speedometer and speed in MFA-display were the same)

Till now, a result with which one can be happy...but a little bit later I realized, that the fuel gauge is not working. It displays that the tank is empty (of course its not), but the light for the reserve is not on.

To make it undone, I readout the EEPROM again and wrote the original values for "speedometer data. Main scale" back in the table, saved the file an wrote it back.

Back at the car, after turn on the ignition, the display shows "Error", but the rest was working fine.

After readout and comparing the file with the original one in a hex-editor, I saw, that not all values (except the area for thermometer and milage) were undone by the programm although the table is changed to the original one.

So I did this by myself, wrote the EEPROM and tested it again. No more "Error" in the display and it´s working fine again now.
The temperature gauge is shown the real values know, the rest is as it was before.
Last edited by skodapilot on 27 Mar 2019 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed corrupted attachment